Sister Rhea Walters

Sister Rhea Walters

Monday, July 10, 2017

Special Assignment

Happy 4th of July everyone!!! We made jello and mashed potatoes to feel American. I love this mission so so much, but I have also grown so grateful for America. #promisedland 

Updates this week: 
-President decided he would officially give sister Bleak and I a "Special Assignment." We are now 100% focused on the devotional and Sister Porter and a new companion will work in the area.



Balaoan and Sevilla Devotionals
It really is an incredible opportunity to close the mission being able to sing about the Savior to members and investigators across the whole mission but to be honest...I've been fighting some serious heart ache this whole week. I miss teaching soooo much. No matter how sick or tired I would feel, if I could just talk to someone, sit down and teach the gospel by the spirit, watching their eyes light up...you completely forget about yourself and any problems. I don't even know who I am if I'm not a full-time missionary hahaha. I will miss the proselyting but we will give our whole hearts to this music! We had performances #3 and #4 this week in Sevilla, and Balaoan. 

-Nanay Nida (the woman who was baptized in April) continues to amaze me. She is a true example of the gift of wisdom. When we start the lesson and she shares her understanding from an assignment, or just her testimony of the lesson at church or personal reading she has done, I am floored by the spirit. She shared with us how grateful she is the missionaries found her because here in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints she has felt the love of the Lord for her and it's enabling power. Aren't we so blessed to know this? How can we not share it.
Nanay Remy is on of my favorite members- she turned 66 this week and of course invited us to the birthday party! (A member birthday party is not complete without the missionaries here.) 




-Did I mention I have a companion that likes to run now? Did I also mention she ran in college?
Sis Porter, the running beast!
Yeah sister Porter is a beast, and she kicks my butt but it's feels soooo nice to run run. I had to show her to whole area so she could lead it next week and we didn't get to the farthest one so I told her we would wake up at 5 and I would run her to it the next morning. We did and ended up stopping by the Abat family to invite them to a ward activity. Their faces were priceless upon seeing the sister missionaries in basketball shorts and a t-shirt, dripping in sweat. :) We also found a trail to run down, ended up in a random bukid (rice field) and almost got trampled by an upset cow. 


Tagalog-
PAGOD (tired) PUYAT (not enough sleep) and MASAYA (happy) describe my life here. 

You Know You're in the Philippines When...
Even the hospital follows the BYOTP code. (Bring your own toilet paper) 

Spiritual Thought: 
I wanted to testify on the power of prayer. I tried a new thing at this last devotional where I prayed to myself for the group before every single song. I felt the spirit so powerfully coming from inside me and I could see it more evidently in the members and investigators eyes. I know in all things, we must pray and seek the Lord's help, even the small things. 
Missionaries probably say about 30 prayers a day, not including the silent prayers they give for their companions while they are speaking, or on a bus getting the courage to speak to someone, asking which street to go down,. etc. The spirit that dwells in the apartment and is carried with you is invaluable. 
In Mormon 5, He speaks of the time he led the wicked Nephite armies. He says 
But behold, I was without hope, for I knew the judgments of the Lord which should come upon them; for they repented not of their iniquities, but did struggle for their lives without calling upon that Being who created them." 
Sometimes we do that- we face challenges or even the daily tasks in our own strength and don't ask for help from the one who created us. Because of their pride, they were completely destroyed. On the other hand, this is the counsel Alma gives us 

But that ye would humble yourselves before the Lord, and call on his holy name, and watch and pray continually, that ye may not be tempted above that which ye can bear, and thus be led by the Holy Spirit, becoming humble, meek, submissive, patient, full of love and all long-suffering;

Having faith on the Lord; having a hope that ye shall receive eternal life; having the love of God always in your hearts, that ye may be lifted up at the last day and enter into his rest. 


These are some of my Dad's favorite versus and they have become mine as well on the mission as I have seen the true power and need for sincere prayer. 


Love you all!!
Sister Walters 

No comments:

Post a Comment