Sister Rhea Walters

Sister Rhea Walters

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

September 18, 2016 Welcome to the HEAT (And occasional Typhoons!)

Highlights!
Drum roll please....yes it's true i survived my first transfer to a new area. It's pretty much like a whole different country here- it is HOT (I am in heaven), when there is a typhoon it's at night so its all good, they speak a lanuage called Ilocano, and the branch just barely makes a ward haha but they are so SO strong. The bishop's main focus in missionary work so the members are awesome to work with us, and my companion is the BEST her name is Sister Barbante! I may have about a foot on her but I can still count on her to kill the massive spiders. 


Something I have learned from her already is how to ask questions. She doesn't just start speaking as soon as she has an idea but asks these incredible questions until we've reached the real concern of the investigator..then she gives me the "turn and look/raise the eyebrows" which means it's my turn to pick up the train, thanks a lot sister barbante hahah :) Just kidding the spirit is AMAZING how you can barely know someone and you already are on the exact same train of thought because we aren't really the ones talking, but the Spirit. 

We had something called MLC this week which was SO fun, it stands for Missionary Leaders Correlation. All the sister trainer leaders and zone leaders go to the mission home and work with our president on goals for the mission. President Bangal is the perfect balance of having light moments (he is so makulit (playful like a kid) but also knows how to crack down some rules and set standards. He showed a video on 212 degree attitude- i'll talk more about that later :) 

Missionaries can Laugh Too:
 Watching the President of our mission trying to imitate the "karate kick" as fast as he can during our games at MLC was one of the funniest things I have seen here hahaha filipinos definitely know how to have fun and are good at laughing :) 

You Know You're in the Philippines When...
The whole sacrament meeting the children in the seats behind me stroked and played with my right arm just to see what white skin feels like. That was a new experience. 

Ilocano Word of the Day...
Maiimbug na bigat means Magandang Umaga which means Good Morning :) 

Spiritual Thought:
The video President showed us about the 212 attitude is something he wants us to take back to our zones. It talks about how at 211 degrees water is hot but at 212 degrees water boils. Boiling water creates steam. And steam can fuel an engine of a freight train. It is all about that little extra effort. Sometimes as missionaries and at members of this church we can slip into a comfortable routine of life. We are being obedient most of the time, we get blessings most of the time, we think of the savior most of the time, but is there more we can do? That little extra effort to be exactly obedient, or focus a little more in church, prepare yourself a little better to take the sacrament, don't miss a day reading your scriptures, reach out your comfort zone to share the gospel, sacrifice a little of your time and wants to serve someone else...THATS where the water boils. And THATS where we really start progressing. There's a scripture in Romans (sorry I know I am missionary yet but I haven't yet memorized the whole bible..still working on that) that talks about us being heirs of God. If his plan is for us to truly become like him, LIKE a God, do we think we can become that in this short life by trying only half-hazardly, or procrastinating the day of our repentance? There's just simply not enough time and too great of an opportunity to miss, to reach our full divine potential. 
My mission is so SO short it scares me, but I know if I always pray fervently with my whole heart as it says in Moroni 7:48, He will help me try my best. I encourage you all to think about that extra degree that you can give to the Lord this week. Just see where your engine will go :) 

Love you all!!! 
Sister Rhea Walters

(These are still pictures from saying goodbye to the last area, next week I'll get some pictures of the beach, yest we run on the beach :) ) 


No comments:

Post a Comment