Sister Rhea Walters

Sister Rhea Walters

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Adjusting to the Lowlands

Highlights:
So I have found that transfering to a new area after you were in your first for 6 months is not the easiest transition in the world but we need to be grateful for any trial in our life because we know that the Lord is just humbling us, bringing us low to shape us, and build us up again into the person or missionary he needs us to be. So you just have to find the blessings in everything :) Here are some highlights of this week! 
so I could prepare 
- 1st Workshop! Our zone leader asked me monday night what my workshop was for the next morning at zone training and I was so shocked, but my lovely companion woke up with me at 5 the next morning o I could prepare and although I was terrified to face a group of missionaries that have been in the field a lot longer than me...the spirit works miracles :) I'll talk more about that later! 
-I got to see my mom!! (Don't freak out) You call your trainer your mom (or dad) and she is in my zone now :) 
- Our ward had an activity called Family Day which was SO fun and was out in the street so a great opportunity to talk to the nonmembers that were just watching or passed by. 
- We went on splits with an RM in our ward and a less active! That was the second time I haven't been with missionary companion but it was really cool to learn from Sister Brooklyn for that day. And engaging less actives in teaching with the missionaries we found is SO helpful. Sister Cudiamat (became the comp of sister Barbante) did awesome and she was at church the next day! Just needed a little reminder of how great the gospel is :) 
-RUNNING ON THE BEACH is my favorite in the morning, even though all the dogs chase me and the people just kind of stare... 

Missionaries can Laugh Too:
Filipinos, no matter what age, get really into games. It was hilarious to watch the primary, youth, and relief society chase each other around trying to pop everyones balloons tied to their backs at our Family Day activity :) 

You Know You're in the Philippines when...
Your companion eats chicken noodle soup for breakfast even though it's like 500 degrees 

Ilocano / Tagalog / English
anya ti araramidem / ano ang ginagawa mo/ what are you doing?

Spiritual Thought:
Relying on the spirit is one of the biggest things I have learned on my mission. And not just listening to it but having enough trust and courage to follow the promptings. I had a couple ideas of what I would want to teach the zone in case I had to do a workshop (that means teaching a training session at a zone meeting) but the morning of I felt that I should teach on Christlike Attributes and how we need to develop them as a missionary. I left all my other plans behind and went with it, then was so shocked when Elder Smith (actually from Alta high school haha small world!) gave the first workshop and said it was on Christlike Attributes too! At first I got worried thinking I would give off a lame impresson of an STL when I like repeated his workshop but actually they fit together perfectly. That must have been what we needed to be reminded of as a zone. In following up with the sisters on sunday night I found out the christlike attributes sheet we started using have helped their companionship inventory, their kabahay (other missionaries in their house) and their work. As I have evaluated myself as well I found that qualities I thought were strengths are actually weaknesses and I have SO much work to do in becoming like Christ. I know it can seem overwhelming to be "perfect" but I also know it is a commandment. God gives no commandments "unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them to accomplish the thing which he commandeth them" Christ taught the manner of men we ought to be and it is even as HE is. I know if we learn grace by grace, step by step, and day by day, because that's how Jesus Christ himself learned, we truly can become like our older brother in our thoughts. words, actions, and desires. The Christlike attributes are the most valuable thing we can obtain in this life to prepare for the eternity. 

Mahal ko kayong lahat!!! 


Sister Walters 

No comments:

Post a Comment