Sister Rhea Walters

Sister Rhea Walters

Saturday, February 20, 2016

First Week in the MTC! Feb 18, 2016

Feb 18, 2016
Well, they don't say the MTC is like drinking out of a fire hydrant for no reason. About two minutes after saying goodbye to your family you are being ushered through the MTC, getting your name tag, key, dropping off your stuff in your room, and then your host leaves you in your classroom (which is basically your new home because you will spend 9 hours in there every day). Then you think you can catch your breath but your using every ounce of brain power to understand whatever you can of what your teacher is trying to tell you...in another language. PERO OKAY LONG! (Tagalog for but all is well, just okay!) I love being busy so naturally, I. Love. The. MTC. Every day is the same, wake up, breakfast, work out, study for three hours, lunch, class for three hours, dinner, plan for the next day and fall into your bed. Anything out of the ordinary (or just out of the classroom) is exciting so church on sundays, service on tuesdays, and p-days on thursdays are theeeee best. The fire hydrant never stops, you just learn how to swallow faster :)  


                                           YOU know you're in the MTC When:

You hear about 8 different languages a day from smiling faces passing by you, either saying hello, thank you for opening the door, or laughing at some inside joke in french/thai/russian/spanish. 

Spiritual Thought- 
The song Nearer My God to Thee is about Jacob, the son of Isaac, and his experience in the desert. His mom had recently warned him that his brother was going to kill him and he needed to leave immedietly. Not even pausing to grab anything, he rushes into the desert, following the directions of his mother to another civilization. He stops to take a rest and is understandably down in the dumps because his life is pretty awful at this point. He has always been the good son, and his reward is his mom telling him to leave and never come back. Because he didn't grab his cushy pillow on the way out, he rests his head on a stone to take a nap. During this he has a dream in which angels come to him and he is summoned into heaven to see God. It is believed that here the angels were actually helping him receive his endowments. When he wakes up, his mood, perspective, and attitude are completely turned around and he is thinking he has got the best life of anyone around at. (Granted there weren't that many others wandering in the desert but still it was a pretty cool dream.) He realizes the significance of his vision and decides that that right there was a holy spot, and built a temple (a pile of rocks but still sacred.) "Out of my stony griefs, bethel I'll raise." (Bethel is a word they used to describe heaven.) Read the words of Nearer My God to Thee and notice Jacob's change of outlook on life. Trials are not what bring us down. Obstacles are not what keeps us from happiness. Tribulation is not placed in our lives to see how much we can take or how long we can endure suffering. Rather difficult times, some more difficult than we would ever choose to bring upon ourselves, are given to us to force us to look inside ourselves and therefore become closer to God. Trials are not only necessary for growth but they are sacred. What are you trudging through right now that you can see as a blessing? How can you turn it into an opportunity to strengthen your relationship with your savior and ultimately find what is within yourself that the Lord sees, making you fit to endure this trial? 
Missions are not easy. I can see that from the start and I am not even in the thick of it. I know that the Lord did not send me more than I can bear. Although this will be the hardest thing I have done in my life until now, I have learned more about myself and about my savior in the past week than I have in 18 years of being a Mormon. My mission is sacred, and I cannot wait to look at this pile of rocks as a temple from the other side. 

Mahal Kita!!!
Sister Walters 

 Elder Landen Hartman going to Australia  and from my ward.  We went in the MTC the same day.
 Me and my swag tag!
 My kasama (companion) and I on our Sunday temple walk!!!
  The sisters in our zone. I love them so much :) We have two sisters from Kiribati!! (By the Marshall Islands)
 This cute sister was so tiny I had to take a pic of her.
 Our Philippine's Flag!
 This is our district!
 LOVED my birthday packages, you guys are so awesome. I was freezing and needed my fuzzy socks!!
 I have to get creative while studying because I can't sit for too long so I take over the board hahaah this is me memorizing the subjects for Tagalog! I made a jeapordy game out of it and if you got the answer wrong you had to do push ups..
 The food is decent....I eat salad. every. day. all. meals.
This is my kasama (my companion)  and I at choir!!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment